Re: OO / fe-be protocol

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: chris(at)bitmead(dot)com
Cc: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OO / fe-be protocol
Date: 2000-05-31 15:41:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've been doing a little reading on Corba. It seems like a tuple would
> have to be returned as something like a sequence of any. But I believe
> that any might not be as efficient as one would like. Have you had any
> thoughts about what the interface should look like?

Someone put some CORBA stuff into src/corba/, including two files from
OMG which define a query interface afaict. At one level we would
certainly want to implement that, and then perhaps also implement a
lower-level interface which is more specific to Postgres.

One problem/feature with CORBA is that long responses are usually
handled with an interator interface, which requires more handshaking
than our current "streaming" interface. otoh, it is more robust, in the
sense that clients and servers have some control over their local
resources such as memory.

- Thomas