Re: OO Patch

From: Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OO Patch
Date: 2000-05-22 11:30:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On Sun, 21 May 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>
> > > Now a question in particular. I understand that this syntax might
> > > give me some rows (a, b, c) and others (a, b, c, d, e) and perhaps others
> > > (a, b, c, f, g, h). Now what would be the syntax for getting only (b, c),
> > > (b, c, e) and (b, c, h)?
> >
> > What would you need that for ?
>
> Gee, lemme think. Why do we have SELECT a, b, c at all? Why doesn't
> everyone just use SELECT * and filter the stuff themselves? What if I want
> to apply a function on `h' but not on the others? Don't tell me there's no
> syntax for that, only for getting all columns. (And the fact that your
> proposed syntaxes seem completely ad hoc and home-brewed doesn't make me
> feel better.)

Oh, now I understand what you asking. Yes I did suggest that you be
allowed to specify sub-class attributes that don't occur in the
super-class. The syntax would be the obvious - either attrname, or
class.attrname.

As far as syntax is concerned I don't think I'm welded to anything in
particular, so suggestions are welcome.