Re: Thus spoke SQL3 (on OO)

From: Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thus spoke SQL3 (on OO)
Date: 2000-05-22 11:18:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Is the ODMG interface available on the net, or is the plan to do a Poet > clone

Looking at database vendor specs will get us a fair way. Or you can
shell the $35 for a spec.

> > Unless we want to break new ground anyway.
>
> We would need some syntax to distinguish between REFERENCES (primary
> key) and REFERENCES (oid).

The trouble is the client cache code is generally all set up to cache by
oid. If you want to start referencing objects by various criteria, the
client cache becomes a lot more complex. More inefficient too because
you would have to set up hash tables on multiple criteria and jump
between them.

It's not such a big deal really. When you do an OO model you don't need
to think about your own primary key.

> Of course we would also need fast lookups by oid and oid->object lookup
> tables(s)/function(s) but that's another part of the story.

An index on oid will be a start.

--
Chris Bitmead
mailto:chris(at)bitmead(dot)com