Re: TODO: Determine optimal fdatasync/fsync, O_SYNC/O_DSYNC options

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: TODO: Determine optimal fdatasync/fsync, O_SYNC/O_DSYNC options
Date: 2006-06-09 00:00:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Performs best" is pretty elusive. On Solaris 10, for example, fdatasync
> does best on pgbench on x86, but opendatasync does best on DBT2 on Sparc.
> I'm not certain we can really determine this with any accuracy.

Yeah, if it were easy we've have done it already :-(. One thing that
would be useful though is to try to gather datapoints like the above
for a range of different operating systems. Even if we could tell
people "here are the two or three settings worth trying for your OS",
we'd be ahead of the game.