Re: Cleaning up historical portability baggage

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cleaning up historical portability baggage
Date: 2022-08-05 14:48:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Overall, I don't think it's a great idea to keep all of these
> HAVE_WHATEVER macros around if the configure tests are gone. It might
> be necessary in the short term to make sure we don't regress the
> readability of the code, but I think it would be better to come up
> with other techniques for keeping the code readable rather than
> relying on the names of these vestigial macros as documentation.

Hmm ... I agree with you that the end result could be nicer code,
but what's making it nicer is a pretty substantial amount of human
effort for each and every call site. Is anybody stepping forward
to put in that amount of work?

My proposal is to leave the call sites alone until someone feels
like doing that sort of detail work.