Re: textpos() function

From: Hitesh Patel <hitesh(at)presys(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: textpos() function
Date: 2000-05-10 06:59:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

\> Looks like it's called position() now --- that function has the same
OID
> (849) as 6.5's textpos(), and even more damningly points to a C function
> that's still called textpos():
>
> regression=# select oid,* from pg_proc where oid=849;
> oid | proname | proowner | prolang | proisinh | proistrusted | proiscachable |
> pronargs | proretset | prorettype | proargtypes | probyte_pct | properbyte_cpu
> | propercall_cpu | prooutin_ratio | prosrc | probin
> -----+----------+----------+---------+----------+--------------+---------------+
> ----------+-----------+------------+-------------+-------------+----------------
> +----------------+----------------+---------+--------
> 849 | position | 256 | 11 | f | t | t |
> 2 | f | 23 | 25 25 | 100 | 0
> | 1 | 0 | textpos | -
> (1 row)
>
> We've made a number of changes in 7.0 to bring function and type names
> into alignment with the SQL92 standard. The incompatibilities I knew
> about were in date/time types and functions, but I guess this is another
> one ...
>
> If you really don't want to update your app's code just yet, you can
> install a pg_proc entry that defines textpos() with a CREATE FUNCTION
> command. But the long-term answer is to fix your code to conform with
> the standard.
>
> regards, tom lane

I changed my code to use position() instead of textpos(), the only
problem is that I now get a parse error at the following line:

i:= position(stringa, ',');

The exact error message is:

ERROR: parser: parse error at or near ","

Trying to run a query like, 'select position(email, ',') from table'
fails with the same parse error, however 'select strpos(email, ',') from
table' runs fine...

any hints?

--
| Hitesh Patel | Voice: (541) 759-3126 |