Re: pg_dump versus hash partitioning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew <pgsqlhackers(at)andrewrepp(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_dump versus hash partitioning
Date: 2023-02-27 18:04:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Sure, but I was responding to your assertion that there's no case in
> which --load-via-partition-root could cause a restore failure. I'm not
> sure that's accurate.

Perhaps it's not, but it's certainly far less likely to cause a restore
failure than the behavior I want to replace.

More to the current point perhaps, I doubt that it's likely enough to
cause a restore failure to justify the existing docs warning. There
may have been a time when the warning was justified, but I don't believe
it today.