Re: Removing support for COPY FROM STDIN in protocol version 2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing support for COPY FROM STDIN in protocol version 2
Date: 2021-02-03 16:00:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> writes:
> I propose that we remove server support for COPY FROM STDIN with
> protocol version 2, per attached patch. Even if we could still support
> it, it would be a very rarely used and tested codepath, prone to bugs.
> Perhaps we could remove support for the old protocol altogether, but I'm
> not proposing that we go that far just yet.

I'm not really on board with half-baked removal of protocol 2.
If we're going to kill it we should just kill it altogether.
(The argument that it's untested surely applies to the rest
of the P2 code as well.)

I have a vague recollection that JDBC users still like to use
protocol 2 for some reason --- is that out of date?