Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] guppie: 64MB RAM too small?

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: pgbuildfarm-members(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] guppie: 64MB RAM too small?
Date: 2006-03-21 12:39:58
Lists: buildfarm-members pgsql-hackers

Jim C. Nasby said:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:18:46PM +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> > You can also reduce the amount of parallelism by setting
>> > MAX_CONNECTIONS. There is an example in the standard config file,
>> > commented out. Not sure if this will help though.
>> >
>> > Stefan, what maxfiles/maxprocesses should be set for OpenBSD? Are
>> > the initial settings hard limits or can we increase them in the
>> > config file?
>>
>> not sure what the minimal requirements are for a make check to
>> complete without lowering MAX_CONNECTIONS actually . I have mine set
>> to 512/512 for the pgbuild-farm user.
>> I guess a lot less than that might be enough though ...
>>
>> While at least the maxproc limit can be raised up to the hardlimit of
>> 128 I don't think that is worth spending any development time on with
>> trying to raise it in the build-farm script ...
>
> Isn't MAX_CONNECTIONS one of those things that should be scaled
> automagically by initdb? Or is the problem just that make check needs a
> certain minimum number of connections...

There seems to be some confusion here. The MAX_CONNECTIONS setting for "make
check" is a limit on the parallelism of the test. It's a gadget we put in a
couple of years ago to allow cygwin to run "make check" as it couldn't run
20 concurrent connections. It is not connected to the server setting that is
indeed set up by initdb. Buildfarm very deliberately always runs with the
default settings that initdb sets up.

cheers

andrew