Postgresql installation - Cannot add postgres user (already in use)

From: Benjamin Power <blpower(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgresql installation - Cannot add postgres user (already in use)
Date: 2005-10-24 10:30:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

A little while ago I installed the Postgresql 8.0 on my Windows XP
Professional machine.

I uninstalled it a little while after that then tried to re-install it again
later on.

In the initial setup where it asked for the password details for the
postgres user it came up with an "account error" "invalid username
specified" error. I couldn't work out what it was and when I searched for an
answer I couldn't easily find it.

I eventually found the solution as being the following:

1. Open the command prompt
2. type in the following:

net user /delete postgres

I thought I might share or at least propagate this information to make it
easier for other s that might run into the same issue.

Cheers