Re: archive_commnad parameter question

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Allie Crawford <CrawfordMA(at)ChurchofJesusChrist(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: archive_commnad parameter question
Date: 2021-04-19 21:16:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 4/19/21 2:09 PM, Allie Crawford wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new in PostgreSQL and I am trying to understand what the “test”
> word is representing in the archive_command configuration that the
> PostgreSQL documentation is showing as the format on how to set up this
> parameter
>
> archive_command = 'test ! -f /mnt/server/archivedir/%f && cp %p
> /mnt/server/archivedir/%f'  # Unix
>
> Does anybody know what is “test” representing in this parameter
> configuration?

Per the docs:

"This is an example, not a recommendation, and might not work on all
platforms."

test in this case refers to a shell command:

https://www.computerhope.com/unix/bash/test.htm

So this only works in environments that have that command.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com