Re: Do we want a hashset type?

From: "Joel Jacobson" <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>
To: "Tomas Vondra" <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "jian he" <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Dunstan" <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we want a hashset type?
Date: 2023-06-20 16:20:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023, at 16:56, Joel Jacobson wrote:
> I think we have an opportunity here to innovate and potentially influence a
> future set concept in the SQL standard.

Adding to my previous note - If there's a worry about future SQL standards
introducing SETs with NULLs, causing compatibility issues, we could address it
proactively. We could set up set functions to throw errors when passed NULL
inputs, rather than being STRICT. This keeps our theoretical alignment now, and
offers a smooth transition if standards evolve.

Considering we have a flag field in the struct, we could use it to indicate
whether a value stored on disk was written with NULL support or not.

/Joel