Re: Connecting website with SQL-database.....

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: "J(dot)Post" <J(dot)Post(at)dtx(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting website with SQL-database.....
Date: 2000-04-17 14:50:05
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces pgsql-sql

"J.Post" wrote:

> I've been looking on the internet for 2 hours for information how to connect
> my SQL database to my website. I didn't find what I was looking for, this is
> my problem............
> I have got a form on my site, that can be filled in by visitors. I want the
> results automatically being written in my sql database, does anybody know
> how to do this???

For a very easy to use way of doing this, check out AOLserver -- while
it does replace your existing webserver, it is fast and easy to use for
PostgreSQL.

If you are stuck with another webserver, you can probably use PHP, which
is also easy to use, but not as scalable or fast as the AOLserver
solution.

And, you can always use a Perl CGI with either the Perl interface module
distributed with the PostgreSQL distribution, or you can use the DBI/DBD
modules, also from perl.

If you've not written CGI scripts before, expect to speed more than 2
hours getting it to work. If you are comfortable with CGI scripts (or
other web scripting), it shouldn't take very long to get the information
you need from the PostgreSQL documentation and the PostgreSQL
applications listing -- which I can't seem to locate at the moment.
There is a users gallery on www.pgsql.com, but that's not the listing I
remember....

--
Lamar Owen