Re: Regression tests

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regression tests
Date: 2000-04-02 15:50:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Thomas mentioned RedHat 6.1 Intel being an appropriate reference
> > platform -- if that is the case, then RH 6.1 Intel needs exact matches.
> > Of course, ANY platform can be the reference -- as long as _one_ is.
> Why do we need a reference platform? Just to show "See, all the tests pass
> on this machine.", that has exactly zero practical value.

Sorry, I disagree. When we first started maintaining the regression
tests, they passed on *no* machine, but every machine had different
failures (much as happens now). We need to have one machine defined as
the standard to simplify the testing process and discussion, and until
now that machine has been mine. If this is an issue, then, at least
for the 7.0 release, that machine will continue to be the same one, a
Linux RH5.2 machine at my home.

Until someone else takes *complete* responsibility for the regression
tests, does so for some period of time, and makes sure that these
tests are run regularly, then I can't see the situation changing. But
it is certainly true that for the last while (6 months, 1 year?) it is
clear that there are several people with enough interest and
persistance to take on this responsibility if they would like.

RH6.1 vs some other platform is a minor issue. I'd be happy for the
reference machine have Mandrake 7.0, which I'm running on several
machines.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California