Re: isnull

From: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)p1(dot)selectacast(dot)net>
To: jhunt(at)chac(dot)qld(dot)edu(dot)au
Cc: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)p1(dot)selectacast(dot)net>, "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: isnull
Date: 2000-03-30 23:07:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

Julie Hunt wrote:

> Yes, you're right. I remember attempting to do an outer left join using the
> nullif but without success so I used the case function instead with success.
> Maybe someone else knows more about nullif and why it doesn't seem to work.
>
> Regards,
> Julie

I've actually taken a closer look at the web page and not only did the name change,
but I now notice that they change what it is supposed to do as well. It does work
as currently defined, but I needed something that does what the original
documentation said:

IFNULL(input,non-NULL substitute)
return second argument if first is NULL
Example: IFNULL(c1, 'N/A')