JDBC connection refused

From: John Collins <jcollins(at)cs(dot)umn(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC connection refused
Date: 2000-03-01 04:12:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I have Postgresql set up, and I can access it with jdbc or pgaccess
locally, and with pgaccess from another linux box on the same local
net. However, I can't get a connection with jdbc across the net. The
relevant code is

try {
Class.forName("postgresql.Driver");
Connection con =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql://birch/auction",
"collins", "");
// Do something useful here
Statement stmt = con.createStatement();

and the error message is

Connection refused. Check that the hostname and port is correct, and
that the postmaster is running with the -i flag, which enables TCP/IP
networking.
at postgresql.Connection.openConnection(Connection.java, Compiled Code)

at postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java, Compiled Code)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java, Compiled
Code)

Here's what I've checked:
- postmaster is indeed being run with the -i flag. I think neither the
local jdbc or the remote pgaccess would work otherwise.
- I've used every name I can think of, including the ip address, in the
URL above. I've used the port and I've not used the port.
- I've used netstat to check that postmaster is indeed listening on
5432

I'm stumped. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

John Collins
University of Minnesota