Re: [INTERFACES] Pgaccess - missing file, can't start

From: Ed Loehr <eloehr(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: Don Oliver <dayo_nanaimo(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Pgaccess - missing file, can't start
Date: 2000-02-26 04:48:26
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Don Oliver wrote:

> I installed Pgaccess as per the instructions in the README.
> The tutorial states that a file named pgaccess.tcl starts the program.
> There is no file named pgaccess.tcl anywhere on the system.
> There is, however, a file named pgaccess (no extension) in
> /usr/local/pgaccess.
>
> The README which was put in the pgaccess directory,
> states that it should be run with pgaccess, rather than pgaccess.tcl.
> Also, as per this file, I checked that the variables PGACCESS_HOME,
> PATH_TO_WISH are set to the appropriate directories.

I think pgaccess is what you want. A case of confused documentation,
I think.

> Tcl/Tk 8.0 are installed and tested.
> The postmaster is running, PostgreSQL 6.5.3
> I started pgaccess from /usr/local/pgaccess (I tried it with, and without,
> the optional [database].
>
> Here is the resulting error message:
>
> Error in startup script: couldn't load file "libpgtcl.so": libpgtcl.so:
> while executing
> "load libpgtcl[info sharedlibextension]"
> (procedure "main" line 3)
> invoked from within
> "main $argc $argv"
> (file "usr/local/pgaccess/main.tcl" line 249)

All this is from vague recollection of running into the same issues
months ago, so caveat emptor...

It could be the file does not exist, or it could be the system cannot
find it. If it doesn't exist, I vaguely recall you may need to build
postgresql with tcl and tk enabled in order to get the library, eg.,

configure --with-tcl --with-tk # and whatever other flags you need

If /usr/local/pgsql is your postgres install root, then you should
end-up with a /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpgtcl.so file.

If it exists, inability to find a shared object file has to do with
your library load path as defined by /etc/ld.so.conf. Here's mine:

% cat /etc/ld.so.conf
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/qt-1.44/lib
/usr/lib/qt-2.0.1/lib
/usr/local/pgsql/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib

This is the sequence of locations the system will look to find shared
object files. I manually added /usr/local/pgsql/lib to this file.
Alternatively, you could add the path to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ed Loehr