Re: [HACKERS] Regression tests

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: chris(at)bitmead(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Regression tests
Date: 2000-02-09 03:02:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Let's say I want to write regression tests to ensure that everything
> related to inheritance works. One test I would want would be to make
> sure pg_dump works for inheritance. What is the preferred way to make
> regression tests which aren't sql?

This has come up just recently, and afaik we don't have a precedence
for it in the current regression tests.

I would advocate having another test fired by the Makefile, to
minimize the number of components which need to be running for the
fundamental tests using psql to work.

"make all" currently *builds* the tests
"make runtest" currently runs the basic tests
"make bigtest" runs the large numeric tests
"make runcheck" runs the parallel tests

The basic inheritance tests should be in the basic regression test.
But how about something like "make dumptest"...

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California