Re: About adding a new filed to a struct in primnodes.h

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About adding a new filed to a struct in primnodes.h
Date: 2020-11-25 01:40:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> What I mean here is something like below.

What exactly would be the value of that?

There is work afoot, or at least on people's to-do lists, to mechanize
creation of the outfuncs/readfuncs/etc code directly from the Node
struct declarations. So special cases for particular fields are going
to be looked on with great disfavor, even if you can make a case that
there's some reason to do it. (Which I'm not seeing. We've certainly
never had to do it in the past.)