Re: Feedback on getting rid of VACUUM FULL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feedback on getting rid of VACUUM FULL
Date: 2009-09-17 01:22:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think it would be useful to have an additional option to force VACUUM
> to wait for the lock so it can truncate. It's annoying to have to re-run
> VACUUM just to give it a chance at the lock again.

It would be better to separate out the truncate-what-you-can behavior
as an entirely distinct operation.

If we go with Heikki's plan of a new special operation that moves tuples
down without trying to preserve XMINs, then we could have that thing
truncate any empty end pages as its first (not last) step. But it might
be more useful/flexible if they were just two separate ops.