Re: The "char" type versus non-ASCII characters

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nikolay Shaplov <dhyan(at)nataraj(dot)su>
Cc: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: The "char" type versus non-ASCII characters
Date: 2022-07-16 17:09:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nikolay Shaplov <dhyan(at)nataraj(dot)su> writes:
> This leads me to an idea that may be as we fix "char" behaviour, we should also
> change it's name to something more speaking for itself.

I don't think this is going to happen. It's especially not going to
happen in the back branches. But in any case, what I'm looking for is
the minimum compatibility breakage needed to fix the encoding-unsafety
problem. Renaming the type goes far beyond that. It'd likely break
some client code that examines the system catalogs, for little gain.