Re: [HACKERS] OO and tuples of different types

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Chris <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] OO and tuples of different types
Date: 2000-01-28 19:03:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chris wrote:

> Came across this comment in execTuples.c...
>
> *In the implementation of nested-dot queries such as
> *"retrieve (EMP.hobbies.all)", a single scan may return tuples
> *of many types, so now we return pointers to tuple descriptors
> *along with tuples returned via the tuple table. This means
> *we now have a bunch of routines to diddle the slot descriptors
> *too. -cim 1/18/90
>
> Hmm. Another few years of reading the source and I'll probably
> understand all this :-) :-(.
>
> Can anybody provide any insight? Like What EMP.hobbies.all meant in
> postquel?

You can get the latest sources for postgres 4.2 (from 30.06.1994)
from http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/postgres.html

IIRC they have a small manual inside the tarball

They should even compile ;), I remember having compiled them (on the
then-current version of solaris) and played around a little with postquel

Hannu