Bit strings

From: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: Postgresql <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Bit strings
Date: 2000-01-28 17:43:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I wrote routines for the postgres backend to implement the SQL types
BIT and BIT VARYING. Unfortunately I do not
know postgres well enough yet to integrate the types into the backend
myself. Bruce Momjian has kindly offered to do
this, provided that people agree that having BIT and BIT VARYING is
desirable. I will do some regression tests once the
code has been integrated with postgres.

The code is currently in the contrib/bit directory of the snapshots, so
you can look at it there. If it passes muster or if there
are any recommendations to improve the code please let me know. If there
is more I can do to help with the integration,
please let me know as well.

Thanks!

Adriaan