Re: OIDS (Re: [HACKERS] Well, then you keep your darn columns)

From: Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OIDS (Re: [HACKERS] Well, then you keep your darn columns)
Date: 2000-01-27 01:47:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing wrote:

> select * from relation_containing_oid(myoid) where oid = myoid;
> maybe spelled as
> select * from * where oid = myoid; ;)
>
> An we could re-introduce the ability to get full tuples for select * from
> base*;
>
> We used to have it but cuurently it is at lest discouraged and probably
> unsupported
> in libpq;

You are saying that you used to be able to get full tuples from postgres
if you selected from base* ??? In other words I select * from base, and
I can get back the fields in an inherited class too?

I have followed postgres from way back before the 'net started hacking
on it, and I've never come across this (but I desperately want it).

BTW, I think the relation_containing_oid logically belongs in the WHERE
clause. Then you need some syntax for specifying to get all the fields
from subclasses too. If you have no idea the type of object then you
have some logical "Object" relation which is the logical parent of all
relations. Suggesting the syntax "**" for meaning all columns including
sub-columns, I have suggested...

SELECT ** FROM object WHERE oid = 12345;