ugly name clash

From: Sarah Officer <officers(at)aries(dot)tucson(dot)saic(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: ugly name clash
Date: 2000-01-26 22:01:53
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

I am porting a system from Oracle to Postgres. At this time, both
databases are installed. I will probably arrange the software so
that I can use an environment variable to specify which database
should be used. I have had problems with an include file name clash
between postgres & oracle: sqlca.h. Both include files define a
struct called sqlca, an unusual coincidence.

Is there some way to avoid the name clash without having to put
postgres in a special installation location that isn't in my path
when I compile with oracle? Perhaps include files could all go into
a pg subdirectory so that the user could include <pg/sqlca.h>
instead of just <sqlca.h>, and that would differentiate? Systems
that use an include subdirectory don't seem to have as many name
clash problems.

When I want to link to postgres, I can easily turn off the oracle
copy because it IS installed in a nonstandard directory (I had no
choice--this is not a benefit). But I would prefer to put all in
one area and use <oracle/sqlca.h> or <pg/sqlca.h> to distinguish
between them. How about it?

Sarah Officer
officers(at)aries(dot)tucson(dot)saic(dot)com