Re: enebling regular user to create new users ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Zlatko Matić <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: enebling regular user to create new users ?
Date: 2005-06-15 16:50:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> Zlatko Mati wrote:
>> I was thinking about two possible scenarios: a) to allow regular users
>> to create new users b) to restrict superuser's permissions
>>
>> What is possible and what do you suggest ?

> Neither is possible directly. (B) means they're not a superuser and (A)
> means they are.

There has been some talk of separating the power to create new users
from the power of being superuser (although presumably only a superuser
should be allowed to create new superusers). If the planned pg_role
rewrite gets submitted before the 8.1 feature freeze, I might look at
adding that frammish into it.