Re: Possible to modify query language in an extension?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Cleveland <ccleve+github(at)dieselpoint(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible to modify query language in an extension?
Date: 2019-03-17 04:21:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chris Cleveland <ccleve+github(at)dieselpoint(dot)com> writes:
> I'd like to add some keywords/clauses to the SELECT statement.

Yeah, you'll have to modify gram.y (and a pile of other places)
if you want to do that. That's certainly something we do all
the time, but bison doesn't provide any way to add grammar
productions on-the-fly, so it does imply core-code mods.

> ... The new SELECT would return multiple result sets.

And that sounds like you'd also be redefining the wire protocol,
hence having to touch client-side code as well as the server.