Re: [GENERAL] Re: MySQL / PostgreSQL (was: Postgres object orientation)

From: Ron Chmara <ron(at)Opus1(dot)COM>
To: Alain TESIO <tesio(at)easynet(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org, Guillaume(dot)Rousse(at)univ-reunion(dot)fr
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: MySQL / PostgreSQL (was: Postgres object orientation)
Date: 2000-01-08 03:17:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

Alain TESIO wrote:
> > Subsidiary question : why is mySQL excluded from RDBMS
> > comparison on postgress www site ?

I believe it's fairly stated: mySQL is not an RDBMS, so it
is not listed. A similar question: Why is Filemaker excluded?
FoxPro?

They all have a speedy, flat file, structure, glued together
in such a way that relational-like interactions are available.

> Maybe because it's much faster ;)

The speed of not having some relational feature that you
desparately need, but is not availabe, is approximately
zero. :-)

I like it for simple structures, simple db's, but as soon as
you're trying to manage 30-40 tables, mySQL starts to get
in its own way. For running SQL to a flat db? It's much
better than PostgreSQL. 200 Tables? Don't even think about
it, get an RDBMS.

> Sure, MySQL doesn't support transactions, rollbacks, ...

Foreign keys...

> I've compared both engines and MySQL is much faster.

Yup. Different design goals.

> However I'll need transaction to ensure reliability
> for the database updates. I've thought at using PostgreSQL
> for updates, and MySQL for select, the database being
> dumped from PostgreSQL and reloaded into MySQL every
> night. Probably with specific queries and scripts rather
> than a dump to get a MySQL-compliant dump file.
> Has anyone an experience about a similar solution ?

We are in the midst of nightly dumps of mySQL -> PostgreSQL,
in order to gradually migrate to a more robust solution...
however, it seems like your proposed idea _could_ work, with
some decent scripting. Fast for simple scans, too...
basically, you'd need text dumps, which are then re-wrapped
to mySQL-friendly insert (or whatever) statements.

HTH,
-Bop