Re: BUG #15476: Problem on show_trgm with 4 byte UTF-8 characters

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: kenji uno <h8mastre(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15476: Problem on show_trgm with 4 byte UTF-8 characters
Date: 2018-11-03 17:03:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

kenji uno <h8mastre(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I failed to reproduce this on a Linux machine. It looks to me like the
>> problem is that Windows' MultiByteToWideChar doesn't think that UTF8
>> character is valid.

> I'm just wondering why my issue occurs only on Windows.
> But I knew why: char2wchar's tolen requires +1 output buffer size, due to
> null-termination.

Oooh ... the problem, effectively, is that the ts_locale.c functions are
expecting to get back UTF32 but what they'll actually get on Windows is
UTF16. So if the given character is outside the BMP range, char2wchar
needs to produce a surrogate pair, which there's not room for given that
the output buffer can only hold 1 wchar_t plus trailing null.

Then the other problem is that the Windows-Unicode code path in char2wchar
just fails for an undersized output buffer, which you would not expect
from its documentation. And it fails with a misleading error message,
too.

I'll see what I can do about this --- thanks for the report!