Re: pgsql-server/ rc/backend/parser/Tag: rc/backen ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/ rc/backend/parser/Tag: rc/backen ...
Date: 2003-02-01 03:38:49
Lists: pgsql-committers

> On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 15:58, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Note: I didn't change the build rules for bootstrap, ecpg, or plpgsql
>> grammars, since these do not affect regression test results.

> Wasn't the intent of papering-over the bison change to ensure that
> client applications that look at error messages aren't gratuitously
> broken?

Yes. Client apps aren't going to be seeing errors out of bootstrap.
I doubt anyone is going to be expecting their apps to analyze syntax
errors in plpgsql functions, either. As for ecpg, Michael would be
the last word on it, and he can change the ecpg makefile if he likes ---
but ecpg is a preprocessor, not an interactive frontend. I don't see
that anyone's going to be passing ecpg parse errors to programs,
either.