Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission criticalapplications?

From: Ed Loehr <ELOEHR(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: Barnes <aardvark(at)ibm(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission criticalapplications?
Date: 1999-12-29 17:45:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Barnes wrote:

> It would be helpful to me to hear about successful and stable
> implementations as well. If some of you who are using PostgreSQL
> successfully could comment on your experiences, I think it would shed some
> worthwhile light on it's capabilities. I'm considering using it for a
> mission critical project, and I would like to know what I am getting into.

BTW, I also still think pgsql the best thing going for open source RDBMS if you
need transactions and can't spend $20K-$25K for Oracle. And I have found the
folks on the mailing lists to be critically helpful to working through some
non-trivial issues (as well as a bonehead mistake or two). I also think the
system is rapidly becoming more stable/mature, though I don't think you can
count on problem-free operation (as of 6.5.2/3) just yet. But I'm still
betting on pgsql...

Cheers,
Ed Loehr