Re: [INTERFACES] RE: ODBC and RDO

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>, Robert Hiltibidal <rob(at)y2k(dot)state(dot)il(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroki Kataoka <kataoka(at)interwiz(dot)koganei(dot)tokyo(dot)jp>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] RE: ODBC and RDO
Date: 1999-12-27 15:59:57
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> > I think I'd like to start on ODBC for win32. I've got the original notes
> > people sent on dsnless connections and other stuff. Anything anyone wants
> > to contribute please drop me a line.

Great!

> > As for format... What about PDF files? We're finding here, where we have to
> > regularly make 100 page reports or better, PDF is working better for us
> > than html or postscript. I know people will say postscript is pdf... not
> > exactly =) Thought I'd ask first. =)
> PDF isn't that difficult to implement (see the sig). Postscript and PDF
> are related at the graphics operator level, but other than that, its a
> different beast.

At the moment, the doc generation scheme is completely automated for
HTML. For hardcopy (done at each big release), I automatically
generate RTF, do minor adjustments using Applix, and then save as
Postscript. Folks have generated PDF from the PS files (they are
available at ftp://postgresql.org) but afaik direct generation of PDF
would have the same drawbacks as other formats wrt needing minor
markup fixes. The current scheme is definitely *not* ideal, but it
works and the tools are available to me on my Linux box (doesn't PDF
have some proprietary tools required?).

For the regular PDF generation, we have had at least a couple of
volunteers, but since the hardcopy changes so infrequently we don't
stay in touch and I'm not sure if they are still available or if there
are other issues wrt PDF generation that a "team approach" would be
helpful.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California