Re: infinity as a date

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: infinity as a date
Date: 2002-12-12 06:35:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> As an aside, why is there a concept of an infinite timestamp but not one
> for date?

Purely historical, I'd imagine. The various Postgres datatypes were
developed at different times by different people. Tom Lockhart perhaps
remembers more about this particular discrepancy.

If you are sufficiently annoyed, please submit patches to make DATE
treat MAXINT and MININT as +infinity and -infinity instead of normal
dates. I would expect we'd accept such a patch.