Re: [HACKERS] --with-mb=SQL_ASCII for 6.5.3 RPMs.

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] --with-mb=SQL_ASCII for 6.5.3 RPMs.
Date: 1999-12-23 18:31:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> > (I _know_ that the real fix lies in patching configure.in -- I'm
> > just wanting to get the RPM out the door without having to learn how to
> > run autoconf first -- unless that would be preferable).
>
> 1. Install autoconf (get it from any GNU archive). Be sure you have
> version 2.13 to ensure you get the same results as the rest of us.
> Install is no harder than "configure; make; make install". You do need
> to have GNU m4, but if you are on a Linux box you probably already do.
> Try "m4 --version" to check.
>
> 2. type "autoconf" in the pgsql/src directory.
>
> Can't get much easier. Changing configure.in is a LOT easier than
> patching the output, IMHO...

Well, I actually have to do both, in the RPM scheme of things. I did as
you suggested (RedHat 6.1 ships autoconf 2.13 -- installing is a simple
'rpm -i autoconf-2.13-5.i386.rpm'). Popped configure.in into vi, made
the change, ran autoconf, generated the resulting patchset (the RPM
philosophy is that a source RPM contains everything necessary to rebuild
all the binary RPMs -- using pristine sources plus whatever scripts,
patches, and extra programs are necessary to make it build binaries that
will run. The control file that determines how to do all of this is
called a 'spec' file -- the postgresql spec file is one of the more
complex ones due to the large differences in file locations vis-a-vis
the pristine source install.), built a test RPM set, and am editing the
README now to reflect the successful changes.

I should release in a couple of hours, once I have all four sets of
binaries built (RH 6.1, RH 6.1 non-locale, RH5.2, RH 5.2 non-locale).

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio