Re: massive quotes?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: massive quotes?
Date: 2003-09-01 00:25:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In that case, though, the solution will presumably look at least a bit
> different from those discussed so far in this thread. Or would you have
> psql detect that in place of a string there was "stdin" or whatever and
> then replace it with the inline string before passing it to the backend?

Please see the archives. I think that what was being discussed was
something along the lines of

foo=> CREATE FUNCTION myfunc(...) RETURNS ... AS
foo=> \beginliteral
foo'> type my function definition here
foo'> and here
foo'> \endliteral
foo-> LANGUAGE plpgsql;

and psql would proceed to quotify whatever you entered between
the two backslash commands. (Notice this could be used for any
string-literal entry problem, not only CREATE FUNCTION.) I'm fuzzy on
the details though; this may not have been the best idea presented.