postgresql.conf

From: noelp(at)calpacs(dot)org
To: ""Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group"" <lapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgresql.conf
Date: 2008-04-01 17:07:37
Lists: lapug

As requested in the blog entry, http://pugs.postgresql.org/node/378, below
are the performance related changes I've made from the default
postgresql.conf file used on a general database server at the City of
Garden Grove, running PG 8.3.1:

shared_buffers = 128MB # from 32MB
work_mem = 32MB # from 1MB
max_stack_depth = 8MB # from 2MB

Hopefully, these are sane changes based on our workload. We've also made
some changes to logging..

log_destination = 'syslog' # from stderr
syslog_facility = 'LOCAL6'
syslog_ident = 'postgres'
log_min_messages = error
log_min_duration_statement = 200
log_line_prefix = '<%u %d %h>'

Looking at this reminds me that I should setup logging of all changes by
using ..
log_statement = 'mod'

Logging all changes (update,insert,delete,alter) has saved by bacon a few
times. However, if there are a large number "mods" the size of the log
files can become an issue.

-Noel