Re: [GENERAL] "FATAL 1: my bits moved right off the end of theworld!"

From: Ed Loehr <ELOEHR(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] "FATAL 1: my bits moved right off the end of theworld!"
Date: 1999-12-01 15:54:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Answering part of my own questions, it appears the latest thinking on this problem (in
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=542994084) is that it stems from indexed columns greater
than half a page (~4K), and/or a previous insert having been interrupted by elog(ERROR) or
a backend crash. The latter explanation seems more plausible, as I do not have any
columns approaching 512 bytes, much less 4K. Glad to hear it may be coming from an error
rather than normal usage, though it'd be nice to optionally have corrupted indices
automatically rebuilt.

Cheers.
Ed