TRANSACTION "WARNINGS"

From: jose soares <jose(at)sferacarta(dot)com>
Cc: hackers postgres <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: TRANSACTION "WARNINGS"
Date: 1999-12-01 10:53:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Hi all,

I have again a problem about TRANSACTIONS.
I had some answers about this matter some time ago, but unfortunately the solution wasn't yet found.
Transaction are essentials for a relational database but in the case of PostgreSQL some times it's
impossible
to use them. Right now I'm in a middle of a work and I need to use transactions but I can't go on because
there are some "warnings" that I would like to avoid but I can't.

Problem:

PostgreSQL automatically ABORTS at every error, even a syntax error.
I know that a transaction is a sequence of operations which either all succeed, or all fail, and
this behavior is correct for batch mode operations, but it is not useful in interactive mode where
the user
could decide if the transaction should be COMMITed or ROLLBACKed even in presence of errors.
Other databases have such behavior.

What about to have a variable to set like:

SET TRANSACTION MODE TO {BATCH | INTERACTIVE}

where:
BATCH: the transaction ROLLBACK at first error and COMMIT only if all operations
succeed.
INTERACTIVE: leaves the final decision to user to COMMIT or ROLLBACK even if some error occurred.

Comments...

Jose'