Re: [HACKERS] perl-DBD-Pg (was Re: BOUNCE pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org: Non-member submission from[Joe Brenner <doom@kzsu.stanford.edu>] (fwd))

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, ianmacd(at)xs4all(dot)nl
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] perl-DBD-Pg (was Re: BOUNCE pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org: Non-member submission from[Joe Brenner <doom@kzsu.stanford.edu>] (fwd))
Date: 1999-11-29 16:59:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[I am cc:'ing Ian MacDonald, the person who packaged perl-DBD]
Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > On a RedHat 6.1 box, I've been having trouble getting the
> > perl DBD-Pg package working, wo I decided to try installing
> > all of the latest 6.5.3 RPMs you have up on your ftp site.
> > Afterwards, I still get the same problem though:
> > rpm -Uhv perl-DBD-Pg-0.91-1.i386.rpm
> > error: failed dependencies:
> > libpq.so.1 is needed by perl-DBD-Pg-0.91-1
> > I gather that libpq.so.1 was once supplied with the
> > "postgresql-lib" RPM, which has now been split up.
> > Did someone forget a piece, or is it just that the DBD-Pg
> > rpm now badly in need of an update?

> Apparently, perl-DBD-Pg is in need of an update. Didn't the HR6.1 box
> come with v6.5.x of Postgres and with DBD-Pg? (I've forgotten...) If

[snip]
> Lamar?

I was afraid you'd ask me that question :-).

perl-DBD is not shipped with RedHat 6.1, according to a browse of my RH
6.1 CD and confirmation through rpmfind.net. According to rpmfind.net,
this rpm is in the libc6 contribs for RedHat, and was last built in
March of 1999. However, due to the dependency on libpq.so.1, it must
have been built prior to the release of RedHat 6.0, which was the first
RedHat release that included libpq.so.2 (as part of PostgreSQL 6.4.2) --
RedHat 5.2 shipped with 6.3.2, which of course included libpq.so.1.
Yes, the RPM's for PostgreSQL were that far out of sync (my primary
motivation for maintaining the RPM's!). (RedHat 6.0's RPM's are dated
April 19, 1999, according to rpmfind.net, which supports my hypothesis).

This RPM needs rebuilding for RedHat 6.1 anyway. The corresponding DBI
rpm will also need to be rebuilt for the same reason -- the perl module
structure changed dramatically from RH 5.x to 6.x.

HTH

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio