Re: [INTERFACES] pgaccess on win95 connection

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Bill Barnes <bbarnes(at)operamail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] pgaccess on win95 connection
Date: 1999-11-29 16:34:24
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Bill Barnes wrote:

> Installed the rpm of 6.5.3 seemingly with success. Can access template1 with pgsql and pgaccess on a Mandrake 6.1
> machine.
> "ps ax | grep postmaster" reports the following:
> 551 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql
> 1932 pts/1 S 0:00 grep postmaster
>
> '1932' increments by 2 on each iteration of the ps command. Don't know enough about what I am doing to interpret

The numbers 551 and 1932 are the process identifiers for the two
processes the grep found. So postmaster is running. To determine which
port number postmaster has attached to, run 'netstat -ae |grep postgres'
-- this will show all ports on the machine that the user postgres has
attached, and postmaster is one of them. Or, you can do a 'ls -al /tmp
|grep .s.PGSQL' -- the number you see after the '.s.PGSQL' is the port
number.

[snip]
> this, but in executing pgaccess on the windows machine I get the following:

Ok. It looks to me like you are trying to do the following:

You have a Mandrake 6.1 machine on your LAN running PostgreSQL. You
further have a Windows machine on your LAN, from which you want to
connect to PostgreSQL running on the Mandrake 6.1 machine.

To do this:
1.) In the pgaccess connection box, you will need to enter the hostname
or IP address of the server machine, not 'localhost'.

2.) On the server machine, in the file '/var/lib/pgsql/pg_hba.conf', you
will need to add a line allowing access to the database from the IP
address or hostname of the Windows machine. If I remember correctly, you
can cause the postmaster to reread the pg_hba.conf file with a SIGHUP
sent to the postmaster process -- however, since it is apparent that you
are not very familiar with Unix-like systems, I recommend that you
restart the postmaster by executing, as root,
'/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql restart' -- this will completely restart
the postmaster.

Now try the connect again.

You can test whether the server is up or not by, in Windows, going to a
DOS prompt and executing 'ping' with the server's IP address.

You will also need to get a book on Unix administration; the O'Reilly
classic 'Essential System Administration' is a good start (www.ora.com).
Administering the PostgreSQL database requires a good knowledge of basic
system administration procedures -- and this O'Reilly book is one of the
best introductory sysadmin books you will find. I also recommend
reading Bruce's book when it is complete -- the current draft is
available on the www.postgresql.org site.

And there's always the PostgreSQL documentation, which is installed by
default in the RPM installation in the directory
'/usr/doc/postgresql-6.5.3' -- since you are using Mandrake 6.1, just
point kfm over there, and browse around -- there is a complete copy of
the documentation there.

Hope that helps.

--
Lamar Owen