Completely new and discovering PostGresSql

From: Didier Gasser-Morlay <didierg(at)visualgroup(dot)com>
To: pgsql-list <pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Completely new and discovering PostGresSql
Date: 1999-11-25 10:11:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I've been using MS Sql Server for the last 4 years on NT and I am quite
fed-up with it.
So I am now seriously considering a move towards LINUX and I investigate
the serious DB offering and PostgreSql Seems to come as a really strong
candidate.

however I have some question, which I hope you will not mind answering :

A. In SQl server I use a LOT of stored procedures which to me are a good
way to isolate the front end from the 'business logic'. In order to use
those Stored procedures one has to be able to create variables, cursors
(even outside a transaction). What would be the equivalent in
PostGresSql ?

B. I have seen a fair amount of projects listed on the Web site, but it
does not say much so my question is are there any heavy users of PG so
far (by heavy I mean db with 150+ tables, 150 users, 3000 insert/update
transactions a day + three times as much Selects) .... and really
business-critical apps.

C. Any good books on PGS ?

D. MS Sql server 6.5 has some stupid limitations such as 16 tables max
in a join, 16 indexes per table, 6 (I believe) levbel of cascading
trigger. I couldnot see any of those limits in PGS but did I overlooked
anything ?

E. I am confused about the NT version of PGS. Does it exists natively or
does it requires support DLLs and libraries to work.

I realize this is quite a heavy set of questions and I thank you in
advance for the time you'll spend answering

Didier Gasser-Morlay

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily
represent those of Visual Communications Group or its principal
operating
divisions (FPG, Telegraph Colour Library, Planet Earth Pictures,
Colorific!, Pix, Giraudon, Bavaria Bildagentur).
which
it is addressed, and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please do not
read,
copy, use or disclose this communication; and please notify the sender
immediately. It should be noted that any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking action in reliance upon, this
prohibited.