Re: Mandrake RPMs (was RPM build on Suse linux 6.2)

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mandrake RPMs (was RPM build on Suse linux 6.2)
Date: 1999-11-23 15:26:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > --rebuild is enough -- but RedHat is not the only RPM-based distribution
> > > (nor is linux the only OS that can have RPM installed....). Time to buy
> > > CheapBytes' Mondo CD pack (five linux distributions on CD)....
> > I've sent off mail to the Mandrake folks regarding the Postgres RPMs;
> > will let you know what I find out. Current problems:
> > 1) they don't have the latest release. I asked whether they had a
> > mechanism for releasing updates to packages over and above the limited
> > number I see on their site.
> The last Mandrake release is for the Cooker development setup (go to
> rpmfind.net, Mandrake Cooker, pull up a RPM list by name, and go to the P's.).
> They last put in 6.5.2-1 in Cooker. And Cooker has the src.rpm.

I'm just using yours for now. Interesting: on my new laptop it builds
*i686* rpms, since the Mandrake /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc is very aggressive
about matching the build machine. I have created a /root/.rpmrc to
override this, but I'm planning on posting some optimized RPMs at
postgresql.org.

We might also want to consider building some non-locale-enabled RPMs
so folks can get the speed boost if they aren't using non-ascii
English.

I've changed a couple of lines in the spec file; diffs included below.

> Can you forward Mandrake's reply to me??

Sure. Haven't heard from them yet...

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql-6.5.3-1.spec.patch text/plain 1.5 KB