Re: [INTERFACES] RE: THE Postgres WEB SITE

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "'Byron Nikolaidis'" <byron(dot)nikolaidis(at)home(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Jeff MacDonald <jeff(at)hub(dot)org>, Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] RE: THE Postgres WEB SITE
Date: 1999-11-12 15:07:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> If I were to sit down this weekend and write up an "Applications" listings
> page, what fields should be included? This is the biggest problem I have
> with doing this, I never know what all should be included :(
>
> If someone wants to make me a form that looks good and is complete, I'll
> do up the backend coding and setup the databases for this...I can write
> code, but I'm *terrible* at doing visuals ...

While it doesn't directly answer your question, there is a source of
information on applications for PostgreSQL -- the PostgreSQL-HOWTO,
which I include as part of the RPM distribution (on RedHat's insistence
-- the RPM's they shipped with RedHat 6.1 HAD to have that HOWTO,
ITNSHO). This HOWTO has a pretty comprehensive list of things -- its
only detraction is that it is a _Linux_ HOWTO.

The PostgreSQL HOWTO as I package it can be pulled from
http://www.ramifordistat.net/postgres/unpacked/non-beta/PostgreSQL-HOWTO-html.tar.gz

Or, you can view the latest version online at
http://metalab.unc.edu/linux/HOWTO/PostgreSQL-HOWTO.html

I know how you feel about Linux, Marc....but this HOWTO has some good
things in it that transcends the linux-centric HOWTO list.

Thomas, this HOWTO, like all HOWTO's, is sourced in SGML. The current
maintainer is Al Dev (Alavoor Vasudevan) <alavoor(at)yahoo(dot)com>, last
update October 23, 1999.

Now, as to a form for application listings, try:
1.) Name
2.) Author
3.) License and cost if commercial
4.) Website (hyperlinked)
5.) Download direct link
6.) Size (??)
7.) Rating (??) (one to five elephants, maybe, in the tucows tradition?)
8.) Detailed description, preferably pulled from the author's readme or
website documentation.
9.) User reviews (??)

Or, just look at Linuxberg, tucows, and Simtel (and whatever the BSD
communities have in the same vein) for ideas of an application listing.

HTH

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio