Re: Hints proposal

From: "Joshua Marsh" <icub3d(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hints proposal
Date: 2006-10-12 15:26:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On 10/12/06, Jim C. Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net> wrote:

> Posting here instead of hackers since this is where the thread got
> started...
>
> The argument has been made that producing a hints system will be as hard
> as actually fixing the optimizer. There's also been clamoring for an
> actual proposal, so here's one that (I hope) wouldn't be very difficult
> to implemen.
>
> My goal with this is to keep the coding aspect as simple as possible, so
> that implementation and maintenance of this isn't a big burden. Towards
> that end, these hints either tell the planner specifically how to handle
> some aspect of a query, or they tell it to modify specific cost
> estimates. My hope is that this information could be added to the
> internal representation of a query without much pain, and that the
> planner can then use that information when generating plans.

I've been following the last thread with a bit of interest. I like the
proposal. It seems simple and easy to use. What is it about hinting that
makes it so easily breakable with new versions? I don't have any experience
with Oracle, so I'm not sure how they screwed logic like this up. Hinting
to use a specific merge or scan seems fairly straight forward; if the query
requests to use an index on a join, I don't see how hard it is to go with
the suggestion. It will become painfully obvious to the developer if his
hinting is broken.