Re: Error-safe user functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Error-safe user functions
Date: 2022-12-16 18:31:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> I'm going to step back from this for now and get on with other work,
> but before that I thought there was one more input function I should
> look at: xml_in, because xml.c is such a hairy can of worms.

Pushed that. For the record, my list of input functions still needing
attention stands at

Core:

jsonpath_in
regclassin
regcollationin
regconfigin
regdictionaryin
regnamespacein
regoperatorin
regoperin
regprocedurein
regprocin
regrolein
regtypein
tsqueryin
tsvectorin

Contrib:

hstore:
hstore_in
intarray:
bqarr_in
isn:
ean13_in
isbn_in
ismn_in
issn_in
upc_in
ltree:
ltree_in
lquery_in
ltxtq_in
seg:
seg_in

The reg* functions probably need a unified plan as to how far
down we want to push non-error behavior. The rest of these
I think just require turning the crank along the same lines
as in functions already dealt with.

While it'd be good to get all of these done before v16 feature
freeze, I can't see that any of them represent blockers for
building features based on soft input error handling.