Re: track_planning causing performance regression

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tharakan, Robins" <tharar(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Massey, Sean" <mssysm(at)amazon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: track_planning causing performance regression
Date: 2020-09-18 03:43:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Tharakan, Robins" <tharar(at)amazon(dot)com> writes:
>> During fully-cached SELECT-only test using pgbench, Postgres v13Beta1
>> shows ~45% performance drop [2] at high DB connection counts (when
>> compared with v12.3)

> It'd be great if we could also give credit to "Sean Massey" for this find.

I poked through my Postgres inbox, and couldn't find any previous
mail from or mentioning a Sean Massey.

While there's not much of a formal policy around this, we usually limit
ourselves to crediting people who have directly interacted with the PG
community. I'm aware that there's more than a few cases where someone
talks to the community on behalf of a company-internal team ... but
since we have little visibility into such situations, whoever's doing
the talking gets all the credit.

Given that background, it seems like crediting Sean here would be
slightly unfair special treatment. I'd encourage him to join the
mailing lists and be part of the community directly --- then we'll
definitely know what he's contributed.