Re: [ADMIN] Re: [HACKERS] RFC: Industrial-strength logging (longmessage)

From: Tim Holloway <mtsinc(at)southeast(dot)net>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: "Aaron J(dot) Seigo" <aaron(at)gtv(dot)ca>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tim Holloway <mtsinc(at)leading(dot)net>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Re: [HACKERS] RFC: Industrial-strength logging (longmessage)
Date: 1999-10-24 01:07:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>
> > > There MUST exist a way to alter the logging level on-the-fly;
> > > IMHO this is a rock bottom, non negotiable requirement.
> >
> > whilst i don't think this is MUST, it is EXTREMELY desirable and would make the
> > logging actually useful for large installations =)
>
> Let's re-iterate Tom here: There MUST exist a way ... someone *MUST* be
> able to change their configuration without having to physically stop/start
> the server to affect the changes ...
>
> Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org secondary: scrappy(at){freebsd|postgresql}.org

I think we have a consensus. Destroy and recreate logging
data structures/tasks on receipt of
suitable event.

For simple things like log levels, though, I'd still like
feedback on
desirablility and feasibility of altering basic logging
options though
(authorized!) frontends. As a user, I get nervous when I
have to thread
my way past possibly-fragile unrelated items in a config
file when I'm trying
to do a panic diagnosis. As an administrator, I get even
MORE nervous if one
of the less careful people I know were to be entrusted with
that task.

Another possible mode of controlling what's logged is to
assign mask bits to various
classes of messaages and allow the administrator to alter
the filter mask.
Although, in truth, the channel design is pretty much the
same thing.

Tim Holloway