JDBC Default Encoding

From: Altaf Malik <mmalik_altaf(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC Default Encoding
Date: 2007-05-01 15:29:16
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,
In PGStream, i see the default encoding "US-ASCII" which is overridden once we are connected to the database. But, if an error comes while connecting to the database for example user name is not correct, US-ASCII is used to decode the Server Message which prints ??? instead of actual error message when the locale is other than english (in my case it was zh_TW.utf8). If i change the default encoding of PGStream to UTF8, it works fine. Is there any specific reason for the default encoding to be the US-ASCII?

--Altaf Malik

Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.