Re: \w doesn't match non-ASCII letters

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Markus Bertheau <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: \w doesn't match non-ASCII letters
Date: 2004-06-14 16:48:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Markus Bertheau <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de> writes:
> Is there something planned to support UTF-8 in regexps?

It'd be relatively easy to use the <wctype.h> functions here if we
were convinced that pg_mb2wchar() generated exactly the same
wide-character encoding as the C library is expecting for the current
LC_CTYPE setting. In the absence of such a guarantee I think we'd
have to convert the pg_wchar back to multibyte form and then apply
mbstowcs(), which is rather painful, not least because our wide
character support doesn't seem to have any function for converting
back to multibyte form ...

Tatsuo, any thoughts here?