Re: plperl and inline functions -- first draft

From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plperl and inline functions -- first draft
Date: 2009-11-15 01:10:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2009/11/10 Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> Ok, updated patch attached. As far as I know, this completes all outstanding
> issues:

Hi Joshua,

I'm taking a look at this patch for the commitfest. I see that Andrew
has already taken an interest in the technical aspects of the patch,
so I'll focus on submission/code style/documentation.

I noticed that there was a fairly large amount of bogus/inconsistent
whitespace in the patch, particularly in the body of
plperl_inline_handler(). Some of the lines were indented with tabs,
others with spaces. You should stick with tabs. There were also a
lot of lines with a whole lot of trailing whitespace at the end.

See attached patch which repairs the whitespace. I see you generated
the patch with git, so I recommend `git diff --check`, it'll helpfully
report about some types of whitespace error.

In the documentation you refer to this feature as "inline functions".
I think this might be mixing up the terminology ... although the code
refers to "inline handlers" internally, the word "inline" doesn't
appear in the user-facing documentation for the DO command. Instead
they are referred to as "anonymous code blocks". I think it would
improve consistency if the PL/Perl mention used the same term.

Apart from those minor quibbles, the patch appears to apply, compile
and test fine, and work as advertised.

Cheers,
BJ

Attachment Content-Type Size
plperl-do-whitespace.patch application/octet-stream 3.2 KB